VGSD is a program of the 501(c)3 non-profit organization San Diego Roots Sustainable Food Project. VGSD comprises hundreds of volunteers working together to help people in our community grow their own food. We work anywhere in SD county and we collaborate with many other local gardening, food and community groups.
VGSD provides hands-on garden education for people to be successful gardeners. On our website, you can check the Calendar link for details of regular gatherings, You can also follow and participate in VGSD activities and events at our Yahoo group, Google group, Facebook and Twitter.
Since our inception in March of 2009, VGSD has helped nearly 40 home gardeners build their gardens, provided assistance to 9 school gardens and 13 organizational gardens and held 15 garden education class series. These activities have involved over 250 volunteers and provided 2500 hours of volunteer service.
- Eating nutritious, locally grown organic food
- Promoting genuine empowerment, practical knowledge and self-sufficiency
- Fostering community, skill sharing and information exchange reconnecting people to food history and its traditions
- Growing food in innovative spaces
- Encouraging a greater understanding of food systems and their connections to local and global sustainability issues
- We help anyone seeking an active role in their own food production!